Milford High School’s Good Citizen, Joe Antrim

Annabelle Stewart, Staff Writer

It is well known that Milford High School’s graduating Class of 2021 is made up of many talented students. Yet, amongst those students, there are a select few that are recognized for their many accomplishments throughout their high school career. One of those students is Senior Joe Antrim.

If one frequently reads The Milford Messenger, Antrim’s name is probably quite familiar. He has been in articles about the ski team, the musical theater program, and currently, those that are about prom preparations.

However, Antrim is more than just a good source who is a part of many student groups; he has also been recognized nationally for his achievements.

Milford High School is partnered with The Daughters of the American Revolution Good Citizen Award, which is given to a senior at each participating school every year. It is meant to highlight current high school seniors who have demonstrated hard work, dependability, service, and leadership in all aspects of their lives.

In order to be selected for this award, a student must be nominated by teachers in order to enter this contest. It is only given out to a student who has exemplified all of these necessary qualities throughout all four years of high school.

As a current senior, Antrim believes that a Good Citizen is a leader who also is a helpful, friendly face within the school. He cites that Good Citizens are those who try to keep a positive attitude even in the darkest of situations, while channeling that growth and energy to not only preserve for oneself, but also uplift their peers.

Both teachers and students alike would believe that Antrim fits that definition.

Antrim was Milford High School’s recipient for The Daughters of the American Revolution Good Citizen Award. This is not only a reward, but also a scholarship that will be put toward his future education.

There are many things that make Antrim the perfect candidate for this award. He is the current Student Council president, and has served on the council for all four years of high school.

Not only is he currently planning prom, he also led an initiative with the Motor City Mitten Mission in which the community came together to create nearly one thousand meals and many plarn (plastic yarn, a way to recycle single use plastic bags) mats in order to give them to homeless and disadvantaged populations in Detroit.

He also is the sole student representative for Milford High School with the HVS Board of Education.

He works as the voice of the students in a place where we are not often heard. Antrim is also the leader of Public Relations in the National Honors Society.

In addition to those accomplishments, Antrim is also not only a member of the high school’s Center Stage Vocal Music program, but he is also a student accompanist.

On top of that, he has been an active member in both school musicals and plays since his sophomore year.

From a sports perspective, he has also been an important figure on the Varsity Ski Racing Team. Every year since he was a freshman, Antrim has achieved MHSAA Scholar Athlete all years, which means that he was able to earn an outstanding GPA while also devoting many hours every day to a sport he loves.

If one has met Antrim, it is no surprise that he is deserving of this award. Senior Riley Watts, a former member of the Milford Ski Team alongside Antrim, described him as “Someone who will always try to help in any way possible.”

While Senior Ansley Kopp, a current member of Milford’s theater program, reflects on Antrim being “A person who feels a responsibility to ensure that everyone’s voices are heard no matter what, as well as someone who makes sure that no one ever feels alone or unwelcome in the program”.

The road to the award was not a simple one. Antrim described the experience as “a lot more intense than expected.” The initial process was the largest hurdle to overcome.

Once he was originally nominated, Antrim had to complete many resumes, partake in a timed essay, and reach out to many higher-ups to ensure his name was in the running. After he overcame the beginning process, it was smooth sailing from there.

After he had been chosen as the finalist, the association hosted a banquet over Zoom in order to honor his hard work. It even had a representative drive out to his house to drop off a gift bag and his award.

As Milford’s Good Citizen of the Class of 2021, there are many other things that Antrim is proud of that allow him to be in the situation he is currently in. He is the most proud of his consistent 4.0 Unweighted GPA that he has earned since the sixth grade, and a 4.45 Weighted GPA throughout high school. One’s GPA does not define a person, even when in consideration for awards.

Other than his outstanding GPA, Antrim is also very proud of the person he has become throughout high school, and he hopes that others can also view him in a similar positive light.

His accomplishments have not only earned Antrim the Good Citizen award, but they have also earned him a spot in The University of Michigan’s Class of 2025. This is a huge accomplishment for Antrim as the University of Michigan is currently rated as the #1 public university in the United States, as of 2021. Not only is he a student of the university, but he also is a member of the honors college, which only accepts 350 students per graduating class. Antrim  does not yet know what  he wants to major in, however, he is currently looking into data science.

Before he leaves Milford, he has a few final words of advice to the underclassmen when it comes to being a truly Good Citizen. “I believe a truly good citizen performs his or her actions not for the recognition but for the positive impact it can have on people’s lives,” Antrim said.

He said to remember to live life with a positive attitude and attempt to understand someone before you begin to judge them. While reflecting on his own work as a Good Citizen, Antrim wishes to remind underclassmen that, “It’s the little things that make the world a better place,” which are words to live by.