The Michigan primary: the real March Madness

Nathan Grigereit, Staff Writer

The Michigan Primary was held on March 8. The two winners of the primary were Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders.  Trump earned 36.5% of the Republican vote and Bernie Sanders earned 49.8% of the Democratic Party vote.

The candidates who placed second for each party were: Hillary Clinton at 48.3% of the Democratic Party and Ted Cruz at 24.9% of the Republican Party. The third place nominee for the Republican Party was John Kasich at 24.3%.

In Oakland County, Hillary Clinton won 51.4% of the Democratic Party’s vote. Donald Trump won 36.2% of the Republican party’s vote.

The Lower and Upper Peninsula had different results. In the Lower Peninsula the Republican results were somewhat mixed, but in the U.P. the results showed a distinct winner: Donald Trump. The Democratic Party’s results were similar to the Republican Party’s results in the Lower Peninsula. For the Democrats, there was a distinct winner in the U.P., Bernie Sanders.

“I think that the primary showed an accurate representation of our State and its politics,”  said Daniel Onofrio, an MHS Sophomore, who believes our state is completely politically divided. 

Onofrio said that Michigan politics tend to be either far right or far left, as the primary results have shown. Daniel says that he is disappointed in the primary’s results and wishes John Kasich could have won the Republican Primary.