Students have great time in Boston

Nathan Grigereit, Staff Writer

On May 7th, a small group of around 50 students left at 6 a.m. to go to Boston. Students were allowed to pick one roommate and the other two would be random people. This allowed students to meet new people.  

For many of the students, this was their first trip to Massachusetts or the East Coast. For the first eight and a half hours of the trip, the students were on the bus on the way to Niagara Falls. At Niagara Falls, students were given a little over an hour of free time to visit the falls and to eat lunch. They then left to go to Boston.

“On the trip I got to enjoy hanging out with my friends and that was a huge part of the trip for me,” says Hunter Long, a sophomore at MHS. Long enjoyed the area in and around the town of Salem.

When the bus left Niagara, there was still daylight left in the trip. The remainder of the day, the bus drove through upstate New York.

Students awoke at around 12 a.m. and they grabbed their luggage and went to their rooms. Many of the students went to bed as soon as they got into their rooms.

The next day students woke up at 7:30 am. They had about an hour and fifteen minutes to get ready, grab their stuff, and to eat.

At around 9 a,m., the students boarded the bus to go to the Old North Church. After a tour of the Old North Church, they walked to Mike’s Pastry Shop, a bakery famous in that area for its treats, mainly its cannolis. Students were given a few minutes to eat. Afterwards they walked back to their bus, and then on to the USS Constitution. They also visited a World War II destroyer.

After they left the docks, they went to lunch at Quincy Market. At Quincy Market, they were given a little over an hour to eat and shop. They then boarded the  bus to go to Boston Commons.

They walked through the Commons and got a brief history lesson on some of the historical monuments and buildings around it. They then went to the Granary burial ground, which is just about half a block down the street from the Commons.

After students visited the burial ground, they boarded their bus and they went to Harvard. They toured the main Harvard campus and after that they were given some free time at the Harvard school store.

Following their tour at Harvard, students went to dinner, then they went back to their hotel.

The next day started the same as the one before.

Their first activity was a trip to Salem and the surrounding area. They toured the Salem Witch Museum and the cemetery. They then drove to the House of the Seven Gables.

“ I enjoyed the trip because I was able to see new things and I was able to hang out with my friends,” said Allen Trevizo, a sophomore. Trevizo’s favorite part of the trip was the ghost tour, because of how fun and interesting it was.

They toured the house and were given free time to visit the various buildings on and near the site. They then boarded the bus to go to lunch in downtown Salem. They had over an hour to visit store and to eat lunch.

Their last couple stops of the day were at Lexington and Concord, and Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.

Dinner was at an authentic Italian restaurant in Boston.

The morning of the last day was different from the previous days. Each group had to clean out their rooms and had to bring their stuff out to the bus. They were still given the same amount of time to eat breakfast and to get ready.

From the hotel, they went to their final activity of the trip, whale watching.

The group whale watched for a few hours and was very successful. They saw a few Humpback whales and many Dolphins.

After they whale watched they were given an hour and a half to eat lunch  and to shop for any souvenirs they might want. Like the first day, they had lunch at Quincy Market.

After their lunch they boarded the bus and they departed for home.

They stopped every couple hours for a bathroom break and they stopped at a rest stop for dinner in upstate New York.

They arrived at the school at about six o’clock in the morning on Wednesday. Students were excused from going to school and most of them went home.

“I enjoyed the trip because we saw a lot of things we learned in class,” said Tyler Cremeans. Tyler enjoyed the trip because of the connections he could make to the class while on the trip and while having fun. Cremeans’ favorite part of the trip was whale watching and seeing whales and dolphins.

Very few people had any complaints about the trip.

Mr. Eichbauer, the organizer and a chaperon on the trip, is hopeful that this tradition may carry on for years to come, so that more students may experience the trip.