Eight DECA students win state competitions

Eight students fro Milford High School hold State Champion plaques.

Kyle Thompson, Staff Writer

DECA States took place in Detroit, Michigan in March.

This year, around 4,000 Michigan high school students went to Detroit to take part in DECA State Career Development Conference. Out of those 4,000 students, 67 students competed there representing Milford High School.

After a long weekend of competition, the award ceremony took place on Sunday and eight MHS students walked across the stage with a plaque that indicated they would be advancing on to the International competition.

But with students from other schools that are not able to go, Milford High School is now sending 14 students to ICDC (International Career Development Conference).

Out of these 14 students, one of them includes Milford senior, Chris Williams (a first-year DECA member). At Districts, Chris competed in a role play event and did not advance. He came back from Districts and went to work on his written project, which automatically qualifies you for SCDC.

“After Districts, I said I would make a comeback, and I achieved that goal,” said Williams.

Other students moving on to internationals include Jacob Herrington, Sophie Beck, Nathan Camilleri, Nicholas Glazer, Audrey Petoskey, and Kyle Thompson.

“I hope that my students just do the best that they can,” said Milford Teacher Mrs. Sommer. “The main purpose of internationals is for the students to network and realized their potential in the business world.”

Around 15,000 students from across the world will be at ICDC.

Internationals will take place in Nashville, Tennessee between April 23-26.