HVS to be led by familiar face in 2016

Mike Smith, Staff Writer

As the 2016-17 school year began, Huron Valley welcomed back a familiar face to lead the school district.

The new superintendent of Huron Valley is Nancy Coratti, who came to HVS on a recommendation from a friend who was teaching here and then spent 41 years in HVS taking on various roles. She has spent her time as a teacher, a staff developer at Lakewood, a principal at Country Oaks, an assistant superintendent of instruction, and a deputy superintendent of instruction. She retired in 2015 after a long and successful career. However, her time with Huron Valley is far from finished. Jim Baker, who spent the last four years as superintendent, left this summer to work in the Detroit Public Schools as deputy superintendent of human resources.  With Huron Valley school board members looking for a temporary leader, they turned to Coratti in 2016.

I sat down with Ms. Coratti to get to know her a bit better and to learn her plans for HVS this year. The very first question to ask was, of course, does she know karate? Sadly, no, but she said, “If I had a nickel for every time I heard that I would be rich.”

I then asked some more relaxed questions to get to know Coratti;

“I would have to say my favorite color is purple, favorite animal, definitely a dog, favorite food, tough one, but probably pasta, and I’m definitely a Spartan.”

On to the more business side of things, I asked some questions students would certainly want to know. Number one, how many inches qualify as a snow day?

“I can’t say an inch amount because I don’t want to chain myself to that, but I would say that  keeping students and staff safe is a must.¨

“You sure you can’t say an inch amount?”

“I can’t say, but safety is number one.”

¨What sort of changes do  you hope to bring to HVS? And what do you like about HVS?¨

“[I would like to] address physical changes and move district onward and upward, also helping students reach their best ,and work with the HVS stakeholders [is important],” she said. “The thing I like about HVS is the students, staff, and sense of pride in the district.”

Her vast experience makes her appreciated by HVS staff and students.

MHS Counselor Gina Pryor spoke highly of Coratti as well, noting her best qualities are, “her ability to recognize staff accomplishments and how well they work. She is very enthusiastic and positive,¨ said Pryor

Pryor said she hoped Coratti can bring stability to HVS.

¨With all the changes in the front office and administrative building, no one knows what is happening, and when it is happening! we hope for some guidance in the new direction she is taking us.¨

The staff seems to think highly of Coratti’s work ethic and experience in the district.

Milford High School students hope she will bring other exciting news.

“Hopefully more snow days,” said sophomore  Dylan Riggs. 

MHS staff feels that Coratti is excellent choice for our new superintendent. She has experience in HVS, high goals to help us succeed, and a determined attitude to make HVS its best it can be.