Students learn through Communication Camp

Tim Forkin, Sports Editor

Forty two students and 10 teachers traveled to Camp Copneconic in Fenton in November for a three-day trip. The purpose of the camp was to bring students together from all walks of life to open up their minds, discuss feelings, and to gain a better understanding of the different social groups at Milford High School.

I was lucky enough to be selected for this experience, and it is hands down the best thing I have been a part of in my four years at Milford.

It started off on Sunday, Nov. 20. Boys and girls were separated onto two buses and we traveled to the camp, but with one catch: we couldn’t bring our phones.

At first, the experience seemed awkward and forced, a bunch of people together who likely didn’t know many people at camp, but after being put into groups and going into our first session, students quickly realized it would be an amazing experience.

“The first session was a relief, just knowing we could open up and talk about anything,” said junior Miles Morris.

Something about the setting or not having our phones made each student open up about their lives and their struggles.

Each one of us fell in love with our group members, and while we couldn’t discuss exactly what was talked about, it was evident that everybody was impacted after only one session.

From there on, each session became stronger and stronger. In between those sessions, we enjoyed snacks and ate meals together. We went exploring in the woods and played games in the basement of the main lodge area. It was refreshing to look around and see people talking and hanging out who would have never associated with each other if it wasn’t for camp.

The first night was impactful as we learned about the different struggles we’re all facing, whether these were personal problems or problems within our own families.

Each camper realized that no matter what their issues were, they weren’t alone. It was one of the most eye-opening things that we took part in at camp, and it built a sense of togetherness that would continue on even after we got back to school.

We got back to our cabins and horsed around like normal teenagers, even holding some rap battles.

We woke up in the morning dead tired, but finally used to our surroundings and ready to tackle the next day.

We started off the day with breakfast, a session, and then we split into our groups and were off to the adventure course. The adventure course was full of different team-building activities that made our groups closer, and that stressed the importance of communication.

Later on in the day, we went to the zipline and high ropes course. I had never been on a zipline before, so it was a pretty exciting experience. However, it was just way too cold at the time, so after I finished up, I ran all the way back to the lodge.

At night time, we did a Cat’s Cradle session where we all sat in a circle and one person had the ball of yarn. Each person that got the ball had to pick one person who they were impressed by or enjoyed their time with or just wanted to show appreciation to.

It was amazing to see how many people picked someone that it was apparent they weren’t friends with heading into camp, showing the bonds we had made in the day or so of being there.

But my favorite part of camp had to have been the hour after Cat’s Cradle.

It seemed that all of the students were in a great mood, and students began approaching others to tell them what they appreciated about them.

I learned a lot of things about myself from other people that I didn’t know. And this wasn’t just with the campers, it was awesome to go up and appreciate the teachers that were there and hear what they had to say.

It was kind of refreshing to see the teachers on a personal and equal level instead of an authoritative figure for once.

After another long night of rap battles and talking, we woke up and watched the sun rise. We ate breakfast together and went into our last session.

The last session was pretty cool because we all reminisced on the funny and meaningful things that happened throughout camp. It was a great wrap up to an amazing three days.

On the bus ride home, our boys bus made a commitment to keep in touch with each other, and greet one another in the halls, and to not forget about what we had learned.

After an experience like that, forgetting would be impossible.

Communication Camp needs to be continued on for years to come, and run the same way. The diverse group of students and absence of technology allowed students to really connect. This is an experience I want future groups of students to enjoy.

After camp I have this new understanding of the social groups at our school, a new respect for people I didn’t know, new friends I wouldn’t have made without it.