Second Shift

Some MHS teachers work additional jobs outside of the classroom

Mr. Adams working with one of his students in his E2020 class.

Joe Bravo

Joe Bravo, Staff Writer

Working in the education profession these days is a struggle to make ends meet.

It can be a lot of pain and not much gain for these long strenuous hours spending time with kids. And with increases in the medical care costs and many other expenses, some teachers are acquiring a second job to help pay the bills.

Here at Milford we have quite a few teachers who would fit into this category as teachers work as coaches, tutors, and in other fields. They set a good example to the student body about managing time and being successful when times get tough.

“(On Mondays and Thursdays) I leave the house at 6:25 in the morning and don’t get back until 9 at night.” said Spanish Teacher Carrie Pishek, who also doubles as a massage therapist. “I have to set an alarm for everything that needs to be done, so that I don’t forget anything.”

Pishek even has an alarm to remind her to leave and pick up her child. That’s how busy some of these teachers are. They have so much on their mind that it’s hard to remember everything that needs to be done.

“It started as something that I had to do to help bring in some extra cash when are salaries got cut by 6 percent,” said Pishek. As the years have gone on, she has learned to live in the moment and enjoy her lifestyle better.

“Now, if I ever find some free time, the extra helps me (pay for) movies with my son, and pay for his extracurricular activities that he likes to be involved in,” she said.

Other instructors also said time management skills are important when balancing multiple jobs.

“Working more than one (job) is tough,  said E2020 teacher and coach Spenser Adams, but it’s about managing your time wisely and sometimes having that one job where you can work on other stuff from a different job.”

Along with his responsibilities in the classroom, Adams is the varsity baseball head coach, varsity football defensive coordinator, and he is also working to get a higher degree in teaching at night school. Clearly he has a lot on his hands, so for him to get everything done he has to prioritize and set goals so that he knows what needs to be accomplished.

However, he may try and do his best at getting everything done there is still struggle to find free time.

“In season as a coach, there is so much stuff going on and as a teacher there are no days off!” exclaimed Adams. There is so much going on for these teachers with more than one thing on their mind.

“I haven’t even watched a down of NFL football [this season],” he said. “It’s challenging both physically and mentally for the adults. They want to give their all to the kids or players they are working with, but it’s hard sometimes going from job to job.

Adams said though that it’s worth for him.

“If you don’t like it, don’t do it,” said Adams.

The only way to make this work and be happy with life is loving what you do. If you can’t say you enjoy it then you’re going have a time tough with this lifestyle.

Adams was persistent on expressing that one must, “leave your issues at work. Don’t bring them home.”

When you do get a chance to sit down and relax for a little with those you care about, don’t bring up work or how it frustrated you today. Take this opportunity to relax and not think about work.

Adams keeps on chugging along with everything he vocalized:

“I do this because I love being part of a team,” said Adams. “I like seeing these kids grow up, develop, and succeed throughout their years of high school.”

That’s why people go through this struggle of lower pay, little support, and strenuous hours.  

With a lot on Pishek’s hands as well, she has a different approach to relieve her stress of her busy schedule.

“Meditation helps my spiritual development,” said Pishek. “It’s very important that I do this throughout the week to help me stay focused and take a break mentally.”  

On the other hand, Pishek does have some positives about being a working mom.

“I love learning, and then teaching what I learn to my students,” said Pishek. “It’s what I enjoy with teaching and the kids are the only reason why I have a good time managing two jobs.”

In the end, it may be difficult sometimes for these teachers to manage everything that’s going on. However, they find a way to enjoy it, and never take any free time for granted.

Mrs. Pishek having fun helping out her students in Spainsh class.