Most anticipated movies of 2017

Mike Smith, Staff Writer

While 2016 was a great year for movie watchers, 2017 is shaping up to be an ever better year. No matter what is going on in the world, movies will always be there to comfort us as we sit alone and ponder our existence. 2016 saw great releases like Zootopia, Star Wars Rogue One, Captain America Civil War, and Deadpool. But 2017 is shaping up to be one of the best years of cinema. Here is a look:

Star Wars Episode 8

While the official title is still pending, Star Wars Episode 8 hopes to build on the success of The Force Awakens and create another great movie in the newest Star Wars trilogy. After Disney purchased Lucasfilm in 2012, the company announced a series of movies and products under the Star Wars name would come out over the next few years. Releases have already included Star Wars Episode 7, Star Wars Rogue One and Star Wars Battlefront. While Episode 7 was criticized for heavily borrowing from the original Star Wars, not much is known about episode eight, but the film hopes to bring something new to the table and this Stars is special because it is the first main film after  the passing of Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) the movie releases December 15.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tells No Tales

After nothing new in the series since Pirates of the Caribbean on Stranger Tides in 2011, Pirates of the Caribbean looks to make a comeback in 2017 with Dead Men Tell No Tales. After mixed reviews on the last movie,  Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg look to make Pirates of the Caribbean great again with returning stars Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp, as they face  face off against foe Javier Bardem and his crew of ghost pirates on May 25

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

After the surprise blockbuster that was Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel takes its fantastic film universe back to space for the sequel and lovable summer hit of 2014. Returning director James Gunn brings back the usual suspects of the first movie with some new additions. The first trailer dropped for the new movie and already has some good buzz about the  movie which releases May 5.

Spider Man Homecoming

After one trilogy with Tobey Maguire in 2002, another attempt in 2012 with Andrew Garfield was canceled after two movies. Now in 2017, the newest reboot of spider man will come out under Marvel control, starring Tom Holland. After his first appearance in 2015 Captain America: Civil War, the newest Spider Man gets his own movie in Spider Man Homecoming. After Marvel produced so many good movies, Sony finally sold the rights to Spiderman to allow them to make a new movie. “ I like how he is tied into the Avengers and the new costume looks cool.” said sophomore Ben Reynolds. This will be the first movie in the Marvel cinematic universe,coming out July 7

Power Rangers

After two movies in the 1990s and 21 television appearances, the teens with attitude make their first modern live-action movie. Power Rangers were the childhood heroes of many kids; the newest movie aims to take a different approach with Power Rangers creator Haim Saban directing the movie. After 23 years since the first episode of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, they have innovated and created new ideas for cartoons and movies. The newest movie, however hopes to bring new ideas and style to the Rangers universe with stars like Bryan Cranston Elizabeth Banks and Bill Hader, Coming out March 24.

A specific Mav favourite would be Fast and Furious 8. “ I’ve been watching all of the other movies in the series, so I want to see what happens with the characters. I think it will be interesting how they replace Paul Walker or if they will replace him at all,” says Joey Vernier.

2017 looks to be a great year with tons of great movies on the horizon. Some movies not mentioned in the list are Christopher Nolan’s War epic Dunkirk based on a  World War I event. The first live action Beauty and the Beast starring Emma Watson and Wonder Woman, the first female led superhero film with Gal Gadot, are also coming out later this year. And Justice League, the DC Comics superhero mashup will take place later this year.